Sunday, June 26, 2011

We're going from BORING to BRILLIANT ~ Are you ready for this?!

This project makes me think of that good old chic flick Princess Diaries. At first she looks, well, not great. Then, with a little elbow grease and special tools, the beautifying guru shines her right up and makes her look like a sparkling diamond.

This is how I bought them. They would have been fine just like
this but I knew I could make them really special.


My kitchen is in need of an anti-neutral makeover (minus the bright blue 
painters tape rimming my windows). However, until I can 
afford to paint my cabinets, put in a back splash, new flooring and new sink, 
some less pricey projects will have to do for now! And yes, taking this 
picture from above was a tricky one - don't try this at home folks! :)


First I primed them. I found a can of spray paint primer after I had 
already used my interior latex primer that I use for my walls. This worked but
it took forever! So I really wish I'd found the spray primer before! Ha ha


This was hubby's idea and it worked great! The color I used was Rust-oleum's 
green apple in a Satin finish. I thought a gloss finish would be cool
but this color didn't come in gloss. This was the ultra cover spray paint which
is like 2 cans in 1.  One did cover both - but barely! I used a 
second can to do touch ups and now I have extra! I'm already
scoping out my next contestant, ha ha


Oh how these make me smile every time I walk into my kitchen. They are like a
burst of green apple deliciousness! I thought about going over them
with a bit of stain to tone them down a bit and give them a rustic look, but I
decided I like them this way. If it's too bright for you, give them a light sanding,
exposing the original wood here and there, then rub on a darker stain.


Now these babies are ready for their photo shoot! I just love the compilation of
greens and whites in this picture. I may have to use this as inspiration for
my kitchen makeover :)

For the love of color and green apples,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment